HUE+Food : Slow-cooker Coconut Curry ChickenJan 11, 2017
So, I made this post on Instagram and the crowd went wild wanting to know my recipe for slow-cooked Coconut Curry Chicken. So I will share it. I also thought I would use the opportunity to talk about color in food and how it plays such a role in helping us enjoy our culinary adventures because it's the first impression of what we are about to eat!
My mom always taught me that we eat with our eyes first. Pretty food is good food. So I use color theory whenever possible to dress up even my weekday meals.
For this yummy, warming dish, the Mustard yellow of the curry is the splash of predominant color on the plate so to make this even more appetizing, I used complimentary colors to create more interest.
The Leaf green of the cilantro is complimentary to the Mustard yellow.
And the Red-Orange red of the red peppers is a primary color with the yellow. They all go! And the plate looks so appealing.
Color theory is a huge part of helping our eyes decide if food is going to taste good; just the same as it is when we dress, color gives first impression cues that make people want to know who we are! It is an attention-getter.
Now, enjoy a Coconut Curry Chicken dinner. Toss it in on your lunch break and come home to the heavenly smell of curry cooking when you get home!
Coconut Curry Chicken
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into pieces
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- ½ bag baby potatoes cut in half
- ½ white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- corn starch slurry *only if you want to thicken your sauce before you serve
- chopped cashews, cilantro, sweetened coconut flakes cooked rice for serving
1. Add chicken pieces, red peppers, potatoes, and onions to the slow cooker.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together chicken broth, curry powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture into slow cooker and stir to coat chicken and veggies. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low 4-5 hours.
3. About 10-15 minutes before serving, stir in coconut milk. Stir just before serving and top with cashews and freshly chopped cilantro.